CREATING A MOVING TIMELINE FOR YOUR NEW HOME –
There are a lot of steps you need to take to prepare to move into your new home. Here’s a timeline for a smooth move.
8 WEEKS BEFORE.
- PURGE, PURGE, PURGE: Donate unused or unnecessary items, have a yard sale, trash or offload what you don’t need.
- GET ORGANIZED: Create a moving budget, moving company/truck quotes, to-do-list, and other moving-related paperwork.
- BEGIN PACKING: Pack away items you probably will not be using in the next few months like Holiday decorations, off-season clothing, photos & Scrapbooks, etc.
4 WEEKS BEFORE
- TRANSFER SERVICES: Contact your DSTV and Internet company to transfer your items to your new home. Keep packing. Label boxes with their contents and room they’ll be going in.
- LET THE MOVERS KNOW: If you plan on using a mover, it’s time to make your choice. Make sure you set up your appointment and get a written confirmation including all price and date info.
2 WEEKS BEFORE
- SCHEDULE DATES: Schedule time-off at work, child care/pet care, moving helpers, and confirm your movers/moving truck, if applicable.
- PACK FIRST NIGHT BOX: Pack a suitable box with first night essentials like hygiene items, clean sheets and towels, and a change of clothes.
- FINISH LAST REPAIRS: Inspect your home to make sure everything is in good working condition.
IT’S THE BIG MOVING DAY
- EAT WELL: A balanced breakfast with water and snacks on hand will help keep you going throughout the day.
- GET YOUR EQUIPMENT: If you reserved a truck, arrive 15 minutes early for pick up or check in online. If you have hired movers, make sure everything is ready for their arrival.
- KEEP CALM: Make sure to breathe. Take one step at a time and take a break if you need one.
Leave a Comment